Thursday, July 18, 2013

Smiling at Her Simile

Language is a weird thing. I am constantly reminded of that every day with Brielle.

Since Brielle uses sign language, I am hyper aware of the language she uses. I spend a lot of my time
 listening to her (well, watching her hands) and reminding her to use full sentences. Yep. She's lazy. It shouldn't surprise me, but it still does when she doesn't know a sign for something or doesn't know what a word means (we had a funny one the other day).

Yesterday, she used a brand new type of phrase and it nearly knocked me off my feet!

She was eating the same breakfast she does most days -- chocolate milk and three (yes, THREE) Krispy Kreme donuts. (The kid seriously needs calories, unlike most of the rest of us.) They were the last in the box, so a microwaved them for a few seconds to freshen them up a bit. She still had half her plate full when she told me she was finished. When I asked her why, she signed to me, "Donuts hard like rock."



A simile! Brielle's first simile!

So, what's a simile? A simile is a figure of speech in which two unlike things are explicitly compared usually using "like" or "as."

We studied them in Language Arts just last spring when we were homeschooling.  Brielle had a hard time understanding the concept. And she definitely had never used one...until yesterday!

With the donuts "hard like rock" and gone, we picked up a new box today on our usual Thursday shopping trip.



You think she's a Krispy Kreme fan or what?? Yep that's a Krispy Kreme shirt (she has two). She would have worn her Krispy Kreme boxer shorts to the grocery store, too, if I let her. I reminded her the boxer shorts with Krispy Kreme donuts all over them were for wearing as pajamas.

Brielle might almost always be smiling, but the simile yesterday made me smile, too. :)

What the most surprising use of language your kiddo has ever said? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun! One exciting part about my job is helping the students building their language and see them grow. I smile the most when and ELL (usually Hispanic student)has a moment like Brielle. I had one this year that actually used some of our science terms on a field trip to an animal sanctuary. I beamed the rest of the trip. Anytime a student has a light bulb moment it makes my *heart flutter*

    Thanks for sharing this story. It gets me all excited for school to start again!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Feel free to include a link to your blog or social media accounts so that I can hop over for a visit!