Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday's Making a Difference


Today’s “Making a Difference” is someone who has been part of our family’s lives for 11 years. When I think of the people that have had the biggest impact on our family, "Miss D" is near the top of the list.

We’ve had a complicated relationship with “Miss D” over the years.  She was Ashley’s second grade teacher and Brielle’s first grade teacher. She tutored Brielle for many years and taught our whole family sign language, too.

She “babysat” our girls when Brian and I would go out of town for a week and even took on the task of caring for our new puppy while we were out of town. On several occasions when she went out of town, her little dog bravely endured the company of our pesky puppy when we “dog-sat” for her.

We were in Book Club together, went on double dates, and spent some holidays together, too. I helped her make her final decision when she bought her first home and read a Bible verse at her wedding.

“Miss D” knows Brielle probably better than anyone else ever has. She was never shy about telling me the truth about Brielle even when it was something I didn’t want to hear. I trusted her opinion and followed her advice more often than not. Her dedication to the well-being of our family over the years has been invaluable.

More than all of that, “Miss D” is our friend. Despite moving away six years ago from the Austin, Texas area where she still lives, we have kept in touch. “Miss D” is always on our list of people we must spend time with when we visit Austin. When Brielle “chats” with her on a social networking site, “Miss D” is quick to reply and always knows how to engage Brielle in a way she will understand.

“Miss D” is now married with two adorable boys. Although we have different parenting styles, I am so proud of the way she devotes herself to her family and works to make every day a fun, learning experience for her young boys.

“Miss D” has left a legacy for our family. We know sign language largely because of her. Brielle is where she is academically because of how she taught Brielle and how she instilled confidence in me that Brielle could learn more than others thought. Because of her influence, “Miss D” continues to make a difference in our lives every day.

You can be sure that I will mention “Miss D” frequently in the book I am writing!

I know I have told her how much we have appreciated her over the years. “Miss D” is not one to accept praise or gratitude very well. Nevertheless, “Miss D”, you’re awesome and we love you!

Miss D is a fellow blogger. She writes an awesome blog! Check it out!

(Sorry, “Miss D.” I know you have been married for almost six years and you have a first name, but you will always be “Miss D” to our family!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Feel free to include a link to your blog or social media accounts so that I can hop over for a visit!