Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday's Making a Difference - Learning from Others

Although this week's post isn't about someone who has direct contact with Brielle or our family, it none the less makes a difference in our lives because it makes a difference in my life. This week I'd like to share some of the blogs I read and what a gain from them.

How many blogs are there out there? Millions? I looked it up and there are reportedly over 180 million! So how does one comb through those and find one that is worthy of following? For me, it's a lot of "look and see". Any blog that I read is an investment of time and energy, so it has to be helpful in some way, even if only for the pure entertainment value. 

These are a few I go to regularly (usually several times a week):

Enjoying the Small Things is a wonderful blog by a mother whose second daughter was born with Down Syndrome. Her photography is amazing! (so jealous...) But, it is the small things in their family's life that she talks about (and photographs) that touch me. Her blog reminds me to make the effort to capture some of those fleeting moments.

Uncommon Sense is a blog by a mother whose first daughter who has global developmental delays (due to a genetic mutation). The stories about her family, including their baby son, are honest and insightful. However, it her determination and tenacity with her daughter that inspires me. Her story, Amsterdam International, is a gut wrenching, brutally honest follow-up to the (somewhat) well-known story "Welcome to Holland". I encourage you to read it!

The Sweeter Side of Mommyhood is just precious. Although this mom often blogs about baking (something I don't do well) and art (which I have more inspiration and enthusiasm than talent for), her one-year-old daughter also was affected by CMV. Her blogs about her little one are sweet, tender and filled with fun sarcasm that I just love. Again, this blogger has fantastic photography (insert more jealousy here).

Life With Elise is a painfully honest blog about a mom's life with a severely brain injured daughter. I struggle on a regular basis with digging up and revealing my emotions in my writing for my book. This blogger inspires me to dig deep and let it all hang out.

Angels4Chloe is a somber reminder to me about how precious life is and how fragile it can be, especially for kiddos with CMV. This mom's struggle and loss of her daughter due to complications from CMV keeps me grounded and ever mindful of what I am grateful for -- for things Brielle does not have or did not have happen because of CMV. 

There are several other blogs I keep tabs on, but may not follow quite as regularly. And I do read other blogs not related to special needs parenting, however, those just aren't in the same category for me.

Thank you all for taking the time and energy to read this blog! I'm a blog reader, too!

And to make sure you don't miss any posts by becoming a "Follower"! You can also keep up with my blog posts and other news by "Liking" my Facebook page!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a kind comment!

    I look forward to getting to know you better and hearing more about your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wonderful to read through your favorite blogs (and be included!). I feel such a connection with other Momma's battling CMV <3 I look forward to following in the future!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Feel free to include a link to your blog or social media accounts so that I can hop over for a visit!