Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday's Wacky Words - Creating Her Own Words

On our way home from a Praise Team meeting at my church last Thursday night, Brielle asked me a question.

"What does 'leg' (she tapped her leg with an "L" to sign 'leg') and 'end' (she swiped one hand in a fist across the other to sign 'end') mean?"

My mind raced. Leg. End. What could she mean? Her toes? A pirate's stumpy leg?

I asked her how she knew that word. She told me something about the title of an episode of "Scooby Doo".

Then it hit me.

Leg-end = legend.

I couldn't help but to chuckle at her creative way to ask about a word she didn't know the sign for. She laughed along with me, not really knowing why we were laughing.

I explained that it meant an "old story" and then looked up the sign for "legend' in our sign language dictionary when we got home.

This isn't the first time she had been creative in her communication. But, this was one that really tickled my funny bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Feel free to include a link to your blog or social media accounts so that I can hop over for a visit!